2019 - Brew Day @ OBK

2019 – Brew Day @ OBK

Home Forums Main Forum Beer Games/Events 2019 – Brew Day @ OBK

This topic contains 53 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Paul Tucknott 3 hours, 54 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts

Chris M

Total posts : 1,909
Date posted: June 13, 2019 at 10:03 am

My special ability is missing/forgetting the obvious.

Scott P.

Total posts : 1,586
Date posted: June 15, 2019 at 11:37 am

for anyone still thinking of joining and anyone who hasn’t planned their recipe yet…

Recommended max. grain bill – 18 lbs

Recommended min. grain bill – 8 lbs

Paul Tucknott

Total posts : 88
Date posted: June 16, 2019 at 5:14 pm

I don’t see much other input so I suggest an Irish Red Ale which OBK just happen to have in kit form. I assume one brew per pair?

Roger Thiessen

Total posts : 129
Date posted: June 16, 2019 at 8:11 pm

I assumed that since there are only 5 signed up, we’d each be brewing?  I sent a NEIPA recipe to Scott that I’m hoping to try!

Chris M

Date posted: June 16, 2019 at 9:17 pm

@pault if there are enough “stations” we can do each brew a recipe.  Confirm your recipe w Scott and take home 5 gal of something you want.

fwiw, I’m doing a Belgian blonde (Leffe blonde clone)

Dan Brenner

Total posts : 17
Date posted: June 16, 2019 at 9:20 pm

Also I will bring my grain mill,

along with a few other things we might need.

Do we need garden hoses etc. ?

Scott P.

Date posted: June 16, 2019 at 9:38 pm

@justcallmemrt – that is correct, we were hoping we could get ten people to sign up, in which 5 stations with a brewer and a helper. since we only got 5 signed up, that means 5 solo brewers at 5 stations…with the odd help here and there from one of the Exec’s off and on…I think we can still do it.

Since we have the five brewers, and everyone has submitted their recipes…@pault – am I putting you in for the Irish Red Ale kit? if so, is it this one:
https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Irish_Red_Ale_All_Grain_Home_Brew_Beer_Recipe_Kit_p/grainkit-irish-red-ale.htm

if it is this kit, which yeast would you like with it?

@222brewing – thanks for the mill, we will need as many mills as we can get. Garden hose is always a good idea, as well as maybe a couple extension cords, remember the Robobrew’s are electric. 🙂

everyone please bring some pails…#1 for lugging water around and #2 for taking your wort home with you.

I think I will be closing the sheet now, it has been open and up for awhile now…this will be our team for the first ever, OBK Brew Day!!!!

I think that should do it….once I hear back from Paul, I will submit the 5 recipes to Patrick.

thanks everyone, this should be an awesome day!!!

Scott P.

Date posted: June 16, 2019 at 9:47 pm

@justcallmemrt – awesome thanks! I will be bringing mine as well…maybe someone can show me how to properly set it up…its literally my least favorite part of brewing, crushing the grains…LOL…I get by, but not without some choice words, hahaha.

here are the brews, still waiting for confirmation from @pault for his:

Roger’s brew – NEIPA
Dan’s brew-Black IPA
Roland’s brew- OBK Belgian Quad
Chris’s brew – Belgian blonde (Leffe blonde clone)
Paul’s brew – OBK Irish Red Ale (still to be comfirmed)
Exec’s brew – Kolsch

Derek Allen

Total posts : 389
Date posted: June 16, 2019 at 9:53 pm

I was also going to bring my mill.  It’s built on a small cart spit could be rolled from station to station if need be.  If we’ve got enough going all ready, I can scratch it from my list!

Chris M

Date posted: June 16, 2019 at 9:55 pm

I’m bringing all the crap I think I might need and will share if need be.  I’ll likely bring a keggle and propane to heat sparge water as well.

Roger Thiessen

Date posted: June 16, 2019 at 9:56 pm

Do robobrews have a built in chiller or do we need to bring our own?

Chris M

Date posted: June 16, 2019 at 9:58 pm

I’m also bringing a lawn chair.

@justcallmemrt I think they have a pump and counter flow chiller, but we’ll need hoses to get the water to them.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 3 hours ago by  Chris M.

Roger Thiessen

Date posted: June 16, 2019 at 10:14 pm

Anyone planning on doing water adjustments?  Would I be correct to assume they’d be the same water profile as North London?

Scott P.

Date posted: June 17, 2019 at 9:59 am

The Robobrews do come with a chiller, and a built in pump. However, since we will be using returns on this day…It is tough to say if they will be entire complete kits or not…but…worst case, even if we have one or two chillers, we can share them between the 5 stations and just stagger chilling…similar to how we did it at all the learn to brew days. Since I’m thinking there is likely NOT five water stations to use anyways.

something else to maybe think about bringing, some hose clamps (although I’m thinking Patrick should have some of those) and some screw drivers or ratchet drivers, to tighten the hose clamps on to the chillers.

UPDATE: oh and the chiller for the Robobrew is an immersion chiller…the Grainfather has the counterflow chiller.

Paul Tucknott

Date posted: June 17, 2019 at 10:50 am

@50snake – Yes… that’s the right kit and with the WLP004. I don’t have a primary big enough for five gallons. Will we be able to buy equipment on the day? I’m sure they would appreciate some business.

Looking forward to this day. There are some very knowledgable brewers that will be making the trip so I’m looking forward to learning a lot.

Is anyone looking for a ride?

Scott P.

Date posted: June 17, 2019 at 11:03 am

@pault – ok that sounds great, thanks I will send all the recipes to Patrick today…I would much rather get them to him sooner, than later so this works out great.

as for buying equipment on this day, remember this is also a Grain Bulk buy day as well…typically that answer is a hard NO.

as Patrick does not have a means at the warehouse for taking payment (cash, credit, debit).

HOWEVER, this year he is trying something new…see updates from FB, with part deux being the important one for purchases on the day:

Grain buy date set for June 22nd. It will be just the same four base malts again. We sell these below cost and lose money with each bag we sell. No we will not sell other types. We like our customers, but we like our jobs to be viable as well.

Grain buy part deux. We have a volunteer to work that day picking orders. A computer will be set up so you can have orders picked while you wait. Say thank you Krista! This is also a logistics trial.

Grain buy part three. The people from the other side of the tracks are showing up. The London Homebrewers Guild. They are going to be setting up on a half dozen make shift brew stations we set up. Welcome. Please keep the doors closed folks. We have feral cats we want to keep.

Grainbuy part 4. We have a stack of kegs the size of a small house I need to thin out. Pin and ball will be for sale.

🙂

Dan Brenner

Date posted: June 17, 2019 at 9:09 pm

On another note.

Patrick is not known to turn down a free sample of homebrew.  I have given him some in the past on grain days and he was very grateful.  It might be nice as a guild to give him a treat or two  if you have some to spare.

I will be bringing some along for him…

Chris M

Date posted: June 17, 2019 at 9:35 pm

Grain and keg pricing updated on obk facebook.

Scott P.

Date posted: June 17, 2019 at 11:06 pm

info for those without FB:

Reminder this Saturday June 22nd from 10AM-3PM is our Summer Bulk grain sale. Bulk buy grains and kegs are cash and carry only:

2-Row $30

MO $45

Pilsner $35

Vienna $35

Pin lock Kegs $25

Ball lock kegs $45

-No rain checks.

-Cash and pick up only for grains and kegs.

-No breweries or resellers.

-Subject to availability

NEW FOR THIS BULK BUY.

We have someone here to pick orders placed online. While you wait. Online orders will need a valid credit card.

Paul Tucknott

Date posted: June 18, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Does anyone have a fermentation bucket I can borrow for a while in case I can’t pick one up on Saturday? My three gallon setup means I don’t have a primary large enough. And hopefully I can share a mill… maybe the OBK kit will have crushed grain?

Just found the fermentation bucket I bought a few weeks ago but had forgotten. And I have a lid. Will need do find a lid removal tool but guess I won’t need that for a few weeks!

• This reply was modified 5 hours, 42 minutes ago by  Paul Tucknott.

Dan Brenner

Date posted: June 18, 2019 at 8:35 pm

I have a 6.5 gal fermonster I don’t use much. You’re welcome to use it if you’d like.

Also with all of the grain mills coming along the crushing will not be an issue!

• This reply was modified 5 hours, 4 minutes ago by  Dan Brenner.
  • This reply was modified 5 hours, 2 minutes ago by  Dan Brenner.
  • This reply was modified 5 hours, 2 minutes ago by  Dan Brenner.
Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright London Homebrewers Guild
Skip to toolbar