Truly Local Homebrew Competition 2019 - London Brewing

Truly Local Homebrew Competition 2019 – London Brewing

Home Forums Members Forum Announcements & Events Truly Local Homebrew Competition 2019 – London Brewing

This topic contains 86 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Scott P. 1 day, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 87 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts

Chris M

Total posts : 1,909
Date posted: April 22, 2019 at 4:49 pm

@steelehead

I’m going to say treat it like any other yeast bank sample.  Grow in 250 mL wort, then in a 2 L starter.  Decant and a then a 2nd 2 L starter.

Diego Garzon

Total posts : 38
Date posted: April 22, 2019 at 8:36 pm

@mongcong I brewed the local beer this weekend with the specs we had discussed at the February meeting. That would’ve been to dial the ATG grain back to a potential of 1.022. I used 7 lbs. of the 2.0 SRM, and 3 lbs. of the 35.0 SRM (to adjust for efficiency loss) in order to bring my ATG grain use to 66% of the total grain bill – thus meeting competition standards. I use Beersmith, and with this adjustment I missed my Est. OG of 1.057 (according to Beersmith…) by 6 pts. This was a good miss for me! as I was really aiming/hoping for an OG of max 1.050, so your advice was pretty much dead on for my recipe. My beer is fermenting fairly well, and has a nice colour so far. I apologize if this was a much longer rant than you were asking for haha

Derek Allen

Total posts : 389
Date posted: April 22, 2019 at 8:41 pm

It’s perfect @dgsrzon33!  It’s nice to hear peeps’ brewday results, for those who haven’t brewed yet! 🙄

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Derek Allen.

Jason Ferber

Total posts : 421
Date posted: April 22, 2019 at 10:16 pm

The Forest City Saison yeast is a beast. I brewed on Saturday and it’s going mad… and smells awesome. I did the 2-step build to 1.5L on a stir plate.
The ATG 2-row crushed really well. I think the potential that Chris mentioned was a good guide.

Ryan O’Donnell

Total posts : 458
Date posted: April 23, 2019 at 2:17 pm

Ah, I missed the boat on this one.

Oh well, I will be in on next one.

Good luck everyone!

Derek Allen

Date posted: April 30, 2019 at 11:16 pm

@ryanodonnell – not so fast, you haven’t missed the boat yet!

You were signed up for the truly local comp!  I have your grains and hops for you…I also have your yeast from the group buy split.  Let me know when you want to grab it, or if you still want to participate!  I’m just north east of London.

Cheers,

Scott P.

Total posts : 1,586
Date posted: May 1, 2019 at 8:08 am

to all entrants: – this idea came up again at the meeting last night and we think it is a great idea…so…

could each entrant bottle two additional bottles of their entry to be given to Scott at Hayhoe Hops and to Liam from ATG – as our way of saying thank you to them for supporting us in this competition. this will also allow them to taste what we have created with their ingredients.

Hopefully everyone doesn’t mind bottling two more bottles. so that would put your number of bottles required to be bottled at 4, with – 2 for the competition and 1 each for the two supporting companies.

cheers,

Greg V

Total posts : 89
Date posted: June 2, 2019 at 11:56 am

Are we to drop off the 4 bottles at LBC or just 2 and bring the other 2 to the meeting?

Brian

Total posts : 148
Date posted: June 2, 2019 at 6:19 pm

@a50snake  Great idea!  I bottle everything anyway so it does not put me out at all. To echo Greg’s question where do we bring those extra bottles?

Brian

Total posts : 148
Date posted: June 2, 2019 at 9:02 pm

For those that used the Forest City saison yeast what was the final gravity of your beers.  I am trying to get an idea of what the beer should finish at.  It is currently sitting at 1.012, but I expected higher attenuation given that my IPA fermented with US-05, from the same wort has finished at 1.011.

Mash temperature was 147 F (63 C -64 C).

Scott P.

Date posted: June 2, 2019 at 9:19 pm

@gregv & @brianp – if everyone could drop off the four bottles at LB. That way Liam and Scott can collect them from LB, and stop in and say hi and maybe stick around to help judge the brews! 🙂 ….

Cheers and thanks everyone.

Dan Brenner

Total posts : 17
Date posted: June 2, 2019 at 9:57 pm

Is this only open to beers brewed using the provided ingredients?

I have a Brown Ale I brewed using Barn Owl Malt I would love to have judged…

Scott P.

Date posted: June 3, 2019 at 9:03 am

@222brewing – for this one, I’m sorry to say but, yes the sign up has already be closed. the idea was to use the provided ingredients, however it was not 100% necessary. As long as the ingredients met the requirements of being no less than 60% local ingredients then it would be allowed.

As far as the judging goes…for this contest, don’t think BJCP, with feedback sheets and such…think more, a couple folks sitting around a picnic table and picking which ones they like the most… 🙂 …still awesome…but might not be what you are looking for exactly.

Feel free to bring the Brown Ale to a meeting and we can have some experienced folks give you some feedback.

if you have some brews that you would like judged, I will see if we can find some comps around for you and post up the sign-up links. Those would get you feedback sheets and help you to improve your brews.

I know that Truegrist has one, Blazzing Paddles I think it is called.

Scott P.

Date posted: June 3, 2019 at 9:51 am

hello all entrants…we were thinking that in order to keep London Brewing from having to house all of the bottles for too long, if we can ask everyone to bring their entries in no sooner than Thursday June 13th – Saturday June 15th.

I am not sure if everyone saw their post on the FB page, but they have had a passing in the London Brewing family, so everyone’s thoughts and considerations during this time I am sure would be greatly appreciated:

We’ve lost a friend and colleague – Joel Pastorius

It’s with great sadness that we share that Joel Pastorius passed away unexpectedly on Thursday night. Joel has been a core team member, co-owner and leader in our organization since the very early years, and more than that, he’s part of our family. We’re devastated and shaken by his loss, as we know are all who knew him.

Joel was a proud co-owner of On the Move Organics and founding member of The Root Cellar and London Brewing Co-operative. As a group, we wouldn’t be where we are today without Joel’s unfailing work ethic, quiet stubborn drive, and big-hearted spirit. Over the past eight years Joel filled every position: from bread baker to pizza chef, from bike deliverer to newsletter author, from bottle filler to pun-y beer namer. Joel was always there when he was needed, and he tirelessly supported his team.

As an organization we wish to extend our sincere condolences to Joel’s immediate family – his mother Deb (Joel), his father Greg, his brother Cam (Emily), and his partner Carolyn (son Charlie). While this memorial speaks to his time within our organization, Joel’s impact reached far beyond his work.

Unbeknownst to us, and as far as we know to Joel as well, he suffered from a severe heart condition. He passed suddenly. We’re going to miss him.

Thank you for your support, ❤️

Ellie, Jeff and Aaron

Iinuout

Total posts : 474
Date posted: June 3, 2019 at 9:54 pm

Suggestion – move the date back a week for entries, good for both party’s, gives brewers more time and salutes the family grieving.

Scott P.

Date posted: June 4, 2019 at 10:53 am

@iinuout – thanks for the suggestion Dave, but this date was set based on London Brewing’s busy up coming brewing schedule…this was the last possible week-end they could get this in and get things done before they get super busy.

I was just trying to let everyone know of their situation.

thanks,

Chris M

Date posted: June 7, 2019 at 7:23 pm

Holy shnikies!  I almost forgot about kegging my Truly Local brew for next weekend!

Jay Steele

Total posts : 68
Date posted: June 8, 2019 at 2:45 pm

I am extremely lazy and did not read the entire thread.

I was wondering if there is something we print out and attach to the bottles with an elastic?

Scott P.

Date posted: June 8, 2019 at 3:08 pm

@steelehead – no worries…we have all been there before, LOL…

Include with Submissions: all submissions should include brewer or brewers’ names, style, abv/ibu, and ingredients.

if you wanted to, you could print off something like this and use that…to maybe make things a bit easier.

https://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_BottleID.pdf

good luck to everyone…mine just got put in a keg Thursday night…put on gas Friday morning…

Chris M

Date posted: June 12, 2019 at 9:42 pm

Well…this Truly Local brew turned out quite alright.  It’s a double cali common.  I toasted 1.5# of the pale malt and used the 1# of cara that I got.  The local glacier hops work really well with this style.  If I can make it to the June meeting, I’ll have to share this one.

Derek Allen

Date posted: June 12, 2019 at 9:47 pm

Everyone!

There are several boxes for the truly local entries at LB.  They’re all labelled “LB”, “hayhoe” and “ATG”.

As previously mentioned, 2 for LB, 1 for ATG and 1 for Hayhoe!  Good luck to everyone!

Cheers,

Scott P.

Date posted: June 13, 2019 at 12:09 am

@xpops – thanks for taking care of the box delivery and working that with LB.

@mongcong – I like the way @xpops thinks. while you are bottling up for the comp, just keep bottling and sign up for the Summer Advent…since you will be trying to make the June meeting anyways, LOL

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright London Homebrewers Guild
Skip to toolbar